Project Management Internship
Planning / Impacts / Research / Facilitation
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for a qualified intern to join our Project Management team. Our Project Management Team produces unique services, processes, and products for all five of our program areas (marketplace, outreach, education, membership, and corporate activities). The Project Management team seeks an intern who can participate in various stages of initiating, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling, and closing out projects across the organization.
This intern should be comfortable leading and be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment. This intern will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of project management
- Work on portfolio of projects in 5 unique program areas: Merchandise & Music, Education, Membership, Outreach, and Corporate Activities
- Help facilitate multiple meetings, from regular staff meetings to strategy meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Assisting in all five stages of project management: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & controlling, and closing
- Implement a project idea filtering tool that helps capture ideas from the organization
- Attend meetings with the Director of Projects as well as Society Program Managers to assist with determination of project requirements
- Assist in drafting and issuance of project plans, budgets, and preliminary schedules
- Track the progress and quality of work being performed
- Perform research and analyze survey data as part of gathering business requirements for specific projects
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for an undergraduate student who is studying Business Administration, Communications, Nonprofit Management, or similar fields. This person should be willing to perform high skill and low skill tasks required in a project- from strategic planning to capturing notes, for example. A person that loves organization and working on a variety of projects simultaneously will enjoy this internship. This person should be comfortable leading and working both independently and within project teams.
At the end of this internship, you will…
- Understand what it takes to bring an idea from conception to conclusion in a large nonprofit
- Learn facilitation skills, how to create a project budget, and how to create a project plan, as well as track a project’s overall success
Because this is an internship, you may discontinue the internship at any time for any reason, and the Barbershop Harmony Society may discontinue the internship for any reason not prohibited by law. There is no guarantee of continuous employment because of your volunteer work with us. As an intern, you will not be a company employee. Therefore, you will not receive a salary, wages, or other compensation. In addition, you will not be eligible for any of the employee benefits that company employees are entitled to, including, but not limited to, health insurance, vacation or sick leave, paid holidays, or participation in the BHS retirement plan. During your internship you may come across confidential business information. By accepting this internship offer, you acknowledge that you must adhere to our confidentiality policy. In addition, upon conclusion of your internship, you must return all company-owned property, equipment, and documents, including electronic mail or other information.
HOW TO APPLY
The Barbershop Harmony Society is pleased to offer a variety of internships to those wishing to experience the inside world of a not-for-profit business. Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest and résumé. You must apply online to be considered. Résumés sent by email or mail are not considered applications.
Barbershop Harmony Society
Michele Lee Niec, Internship Manager
110 7th Avenue N.
Nashville, TN 37203