July 4, 2018 • Orlando
Applications are now being accepted through December 1, 2017.
Learn about changes to the program in the Frequently Asked Questions
A new showcase experience for college-age men
Men’s choruses now have a unique new event to experience the very best in vocal harmony: The Varsity Chorus Invitational.
As part of the International Convention of the Barbershop Harmony Society, young choruses will perform in front of enthusiastic crowds, and experience a full-immersion barbershop event.
Compete as a chorus, plus sing in a massive Honors Chorus
The week’s activities feature the Contest, adjudicated by certified BHS judges and performed for a large crowd. But that’s only part of the fun.
All Varsity Chorus singers will take part in an Honors Chorus that will perform two songs in various venues throughout the week. World-class coaches will work with the group to bring it to peak performance -- an unforgettable growth opportunity.
Bring your current chorus -- or start a new one!
We encourage existing college-level ensembles to become part of the Varsity Chorus Invitational to explore barbershop harmony as a legitimate musical form. Future music educators will learn valuable approaches to ensemble sound, performance, and instilling lifelong love of singing.
Don’t have the right ensemble? Start a new one! Whether based at school or as a group of friends, there’s great music to be made.
- All singers must be male and age 25 or under at the time of the International Event.
- Singers under age 18 must be accompanied at convention by a parent/guardian
- No singer may perform with more than one Varsity Chorus.
- Each chorus will pay a $300 registration fee.
- Each singer and director must hold a full convention registration. Varsity and Honors Chorus participants will receive one complimentary registration (if they are not also competing in the varsity or open quartet contest.)
- Hotel rooms must be reserved by the chorus through the BHS official convention block.
- Choruses will sing 2 contestable, barbershop songs and one a cappella song of their choice.
- Each youth chorus will receive scores based on a 30 point scale.
- Plateau recognition will be based on number of performers:
- A Less than 20 singers
- AA 21 - 40 singers
- AAA Over 40 singers