July 2019 • Salt Lake City
Applications are now being accepted through December 1, 2018.
Learn about changes to the program in the Frequently Asked Questions
A new showcase experience for college-aged a cappella choruses
It’s a great new way to experience the very best in vocal harmony: The Next Generation Barbershop Varsity Chorus Invitational Festival.
As part of the International Convention of the Barbershop Harmony Society, young choruses will perform in front of enthusiastic crowds, and experience a full-immersion barbershop event. Beyond the fun, you’ll learn about elite-level harmony, tuning, showmanship, and some uniquely American musical literature.
Open to male, female, and mixed-voice choruses – both established and new
Now you can design a barbershop group around your interests, talents, and friends. Like the Junior Chorus Festival for high school-aged singers, we’re offering more ways for adult singers to experience barbershop harmony for the first time. Experiment with your current group, or start something new, whether at school or among a group of friends.
Strut your stuff as a chorus, plus sing in a massive Honors Chorus
The week’s activities feature the Festival , where you’ll be adjudicated for rating and recognition, performed for an enthusiastic crowd of harmony fanatics. But that’s only part of the fun.
All Varsity Chorus singers will take part in an Honors Chorus that will perform two songs in various venues throughout the week. World-class coaches will work with the group to bring it to peak performance -- an unforgettable growth opportunity.
- All singers must be age 25 or under at the time of the International Event.
- Singers under age 18 must be accompanied at convention by a parent/guardian
- No singer may perform with more than one Varsity Chorus.
- Each chorus will pay a $300 registration fee.
- Each singer and director must hold a full convention registration. Varsity and Honors Chorus participants will receive one complimentary registration (if they are not also competing in the Varsity or open quartet contest.)
- Hotel rooms must be reserved by the chorus through the BHS official convention block.
- Choruses will sing 2 contestable, barbershop songs and one a cappella song of their choice.
- Each youth chorus will be adjudicated and rated on our Festival scale.