Frequently Asked Questions
What do I get for my $30?
For $30 annually, you will receive the following benefits:
* Enjoy a 25% off coupon for your first order at shop.barbershop.org (choose from over 4,000 sheet music titles, audio tracks, and other merchandise), and additional promotions throughout the year.
* Learn more with Insider access to some of our barbershop education resources, including videos, articles, and how-tos with our curated list!
* Get one free piece of sheet music and learning tracks to start your barbershop journey!
* Sing even more with a digital copy of our Barberpole Cat Songbook, containing 12 standard songs that are sung by barbershoppers Society wide.
* Join us at our bi-annual conventions and you’ll receive $10 off both the Midwinter Convention held in January and the International Convention in July, plus early access to additional sales and housing information.
* Stay connected via our weekly email newsletter, LiveWire, and online access to current and past issues of The Harmonizer, our official bi-monthly magazine.
Am I a Member of BHS?
Insiders are an important and valued part of the BHS family, but do not qualify for member benefits such as member discounts or contest eligibility, and may not register a BHS quartet. Any Insider who wants to get even more involved can upgrade to Member by contacting Customer Service (email@example.com, 800-876-SING). You will be given credit for any funds you have already paid in!
As an Insider, will I be able to access the Member Center or Document Center?
Access to the Member Center and Document Center is only available to full members of the Society. Learn more about becoming a member here.
Can I join my local chapter/chorus/quartet?
We’d love for you to join a chapter, chorus, or quartet, but first you will need to register as a full member of BHS. At this time, only members are eligible for chapter, chorus, or quartet membership.
Can I join my local club?
Yes! Insiders ARE able to join BHS clubs (or start a new one)!
What is a Polecat/why is it called a Polecat?
The Barberpole Cat songs (or simply “Polecats”) are a set of 12 standard arrangements that form a common barbershop repertoire sung around the world. They provide an easy way to begin harmonizing immediately with those you know, or with those you have just met along the way. The original collection was published in 1971, and a new series was introduced in July 2015.
The term Barberpole Cat reflects a barbershoppy pun of the barberpole and a polecat, a nickname for a skunk or ferret, with undertones of a fun person, e.g., a real cool cat.
What is LiveWire?
The LiveWire email newsletter is the Society’s weekly roundup of information on news, events, and stories of interest.
How do I access the Marketplace and my discount coupon? Do I need to create an account?
Your discount code can be found in the BHS Insiders folder (link in your welcome email). To take advantage of the 25% off coupon, visit shop.barbershop.org and enter your code in the “discount code” box. You will need to create a free account on shop.barbershop.org to purchase items and use the discount code.
What is The Harmonizer?
Published since November 1941, The Harmonizer is the Barbershop Harmony Society's premier magazine publication. It is delivered six times annually.
What are the International and Midwinter Conventions?
These major barbershop gatherings bring together thousands of competitors and fans for the best shows, contests and educational opportunities. Get full details on upcoming Midwinter (January) and International (July) conventions at www.barbershop.org/events!
Does my $10 off coupon apply to the member rate or the non-member rate?
The $10 off coupon can only be applied to the non-member rate.
I like being an Insider, but what if I want to become a Member mid-year?
We would love to have you upgrade from an Insider to a full BHS Member. You can upgrade by reaching out to Customer Service (firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-876-SING). You will be given credit for any funds you have already paid in!