Service on the Society Board of Directors is an opportunity afforded to our membership. It provides a member with an experience of a lifetime and the chance to participate with other men of good character who strive to govern our Society, create vision and set policy that will affect our membership for years to come, and to develop, support, and monitor progress in the successful implementation of a dynamic and forward-thinking strategic plan. The Society Board of Directors is a governance, not an operational management, board. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future. CLICK HERE to apply!
Men who have a wide range of experience in the Society, in business, in non-profit service (including the BHS), in public service and/or in other endeavors that offer experience in leadership and governance are the focus of our efforts to secure the best-qualified men for service on the Board for a term beginning in 2019. Further, the Nominating Committee is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse Society governance structure beginning with the Board of Directors and welcomes all candidates who may help us achieve that goal.
The Nominating Committee is seeking qualified applicants for the positions of Society President, Society Executive Vice-President, Society Treasurer, and Board Member-at-Large.
General qualifications include (but are not limited to):
- Willingness to further the purposes of the Society and the attainment of its objectives.
- A desire to preserve the Society’s ideals' and further the extension of barbershop harmony throughout the world.
- Willingness to be responsible for all matters affecting the affairs of the Society.
- Be an active member in good standing of a chapter (other than the Frank H. Thorne Chapter).
- Experience in creating strategic plans, setting long-term goals, and monitoring progress toward achievement of those goals is essential.
- Exhibit the ability to maintain a Society-wide perspective that is basic to the success of a board member.
- In the instance of the Society Treasurer, experience with:
- Financial oversight of an organization's budget
- Presentation of an annual budget and recommendations to an organization's Governing Board
- Supervise the development of fiscal policies and practices for recommendation to an organization's Governing Board
- Maintain a record of an organization's assets
- Require monthly statements from designated depositories of the Governing organization
- Provide reports to the organization's Board as required including an annual report
Applicants are encouraged to review the Society’s By-laws which can be found at:
It is essential that applicants review Articles IV and V of the Society By-laws regarding the Society Board and its officers.
Applicants are informed that the selected nominees are expected to be present at the International Convention in Orlando, FL from Sunday, July 1, 2018, through Tuesday, July 3, 2018, and that they attend all sessions of the Society Board meetings on those dates. Further, anticipated meeting dates in 2018 and 2019 that the newly elected Board members are required to attend are scheduled for November 2018, January 2019 (Midwinter Convention), March 2017 (in-person or telephone conference call), July 2019 (International Convention), and late Fall 2019. Elected members are also asked to hold the 3rd Sunday of each month, between 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. CT for additional teleconference Board meetings as-needed.
Applications may be found on the Society website. Completed applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted by midnight CDT on March 15, 2018, to be considered.