The Barbershop Harmony Society is the world’s largest all-male singing Society, with tens of thousands of members across North America; affiliated men’s and women’s organizations in more than a dozen countries bring the total number of active singers to more than 80,000 worldwide. Through active programs in music education, publishing, performance, and outreach, the Society preserves and extends the reach of a uniquely American close harmony musical art form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmony traditions. Founded in 1938 as the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (SPEBSQSA), the Society now expends nearly $1 million annually in support of community and school programs that bring the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music to a new generation of singers. The Society relocated its headquarters to the heart of Nashville in 2007 and has established powerful relationships in the civic and education communities. Belmont University in Nashville has become the new home for the Society’s flagship annual education event, Harmony University, and in 2016, the Barbershop Harmony Society was recognized by the Nashville Business Journal as one of its Best Places To Work.
Job Title: Customer Service Center Representative
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Overview: Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society is an arts education and performance organization with over 20,000 singers in 700 chapters throughout North America. This is a full time position devoted to providing support through the Customer Service Center. As the first point of contact for our passionate singers (think of Barbershoppers as “professional hobbyists”) the Customer Service Representative provides support in customer service, answering questions about membership, contests and events. Other areas include completion of special projects and reports, processing of membership documents, event registrations and merchandise orders, accounts receivable, correspondence, filing, telephones, occasional travel, and various duties as assigned.
Reports To: Director of Membership/Customer Service Manager
- Represent the “face and voice” of the Barbershop Harmony Society to members, prospective members, volunteers, and others who are interested in barbershop harmony
- Respond to customer questions and concerns via mail, email, fax, and primarily phone calls; return voicemails in a timely fashion
- Troubleshoot customer problems with excellent attention to detail to provide a high level of customer satisfaction
- Take initiative to plan and accomplish personal goals and special projects for the benefit of the company as determined with the Customer Service Manager
- Process orders and answer questions related to new member applications, membership renewals, music and merchandise orders, quartets, accounts receivable, chapter insurance, outreach, harmony university, and events
- Attract new and repeat customers by answering product/service questions as well as suggesting additional products/services
- Proficiently navigate the membership, event, and shop management computer system database
Education, experience, and attributes:
- Two years customer service experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Familiar with CRM systems and practices
- Proven flexibility and ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Pleasant telephone voice/manner
- Ability to remain calm, cool, and collected under pressure
- Strong ability to work independently and on a team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Barbershop Harmony Society preferred
- Passionate about music/singing definitely a plus!
- High school diploma or equivalent
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for qualified interns to join our team. Click the link above to view opportunities.
Harmony Hall is always looking for volunteers to assist us with various projects based on need and capacity. Click the link above to share your interest.