The Barbershop Harmony Society is the world’s largest all-male singing Society, with tens of thousands of members across North America; affiliated men’s and women’s organizations in more than a dozen countries bring the total number of active singers to more than 80,000 worldwide. The Society was voted Nashville Business Journal’s Best Places To Work for two years in a row, 2015 and 2016. Through active programs in music education, publishing, performance, and outreach, the Society preserves and extends the reach of a uniquely American close harmony musical art form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmony traditions. Founded in 1938 as the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (SPEBSQSA), the Society now expends nearly $1 million annually in support of community and school programs that bring the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music to a new generation of singers. The Society relocated its headquarters to the heart of Nashville in 2007 and has established powerful relationships in the civic and education communities. Belmont University in Nashville has become the new home for the Society’s flagship annual education event, Harmony University.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Community Development Manager
Ends on December 31, 2018
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Overview: Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society (“BHS”) is an arts education and performance organization with more than 20,000 singers in nearly 700 chapters throughout North America. This position is responsible for developing and creating new singing communities (very large quartets, high school or college ensembles, clubs, meetups, etc.). A person in this role will be successful if they 1) work in partnership with the current Chapter Success Manager and Marketing Team to identify where current singing communities could thrive, 2) proactively develop those communities, and 3) provide content/material/resources that directly support overall community health.
Reports To: Sr. Director Of Impact, Barbershop Harmony Society
- Plant, nurture, and grow new singing communities across North America
- Work in partnership with the Chapter Success Manager to facilitate transition of new communities that want to become an official chapter
- Provide quarterly updates to Director of Membership, Director of Education, Executive Team, Harmony Foundation International, and District President’s Council on growth or new communities, including:
- Participation & engagement totals
- Descriptions of new communities and resources needed
- Next steps for cultivating that community
- Create and maintain dashboard of community health indicators
- Proactively facilitate resolution of community start up specific needs to available resources at the Barbershop Harmony Society
- Provide timely responses to email and phone calls from communities
- Liaise and manage relationships with current non-chapter barbershop communities in North America to ensure we meet their expectations. Current communities include Harmony Brigades, Association of International Champions, Ancient Harmonious Society of Woodshedders, etc.
- Other duties as yet to be defined
- Ability to aintain professional demeanor
- Experience analyzing data to identify opportunity
- Community development experience helpful
- Appreciation and understanding of the value of singing together
- Ability to travel – up to 20% per year
- Working knowledge of Google drive and shared Google documents
- Orientation toward sales and outreach
- Ability to deliver results
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to both function as part of a team and work independently
- Working knowledge of the BHS desired
Interested Parties: Please click here to submit your application online.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for qualified interns to join our team. Click the link above to view opportunities.
Harmony Hall is always looking for volunteers to assist us with various projects based on need and capacity. Click the link above to share your interest.