The Barbershop Harmony Society is the world’s largest all-male singing Society, with tens of thousands of members across North America; affiliated men’s and women’s organizations in more than a dozen countries bring the total number of active singers to more than 80,000 worldwide. The Society was voted Nashville Business Journal’s Best Places To Work for two years in a row, 2015 and 2016. Through active programs in music education, publishing, performance, and outreach, the Society preserves and extends the reach of a uniquely American close harmony musical art form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmony traditions. Founded in 1938 as the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (SPEBSQSA), the Society now expends nearly $1 million annually in support of community and school programs that bring the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music to a new generation of singers. The Society relocated its headquarters to the heart of Nashville in 2007 and has established powerful relationships in the civic and education communities. Belmont University in Nashville has become the new home for the Society’s flagship annual education event, Harmony University.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for a well-rounded web/software developer to join the existing IT department to maintain current custom built applications and integrate multiple internal systems. A great Application Developer has excellent knowledge of at least one programming language. They must be familiar with a variety of operating systems and platforms. They must also be experienced with completing tasks on time and on budget. The ideal candidate will also have an analytical mindset and a keen eye for detail.
- Maintain and evolve the aesthetic of the Society’s website(s) & web applications Work with a dedicated project manager to prioritize your schedule, deliverables, and timelines
- Understand client requirements and how they translate in application features
- Design creative prototypes according to specifications
- Write high quality source code to program complete applications within deadlines
- Perform unit and integration testing before launch
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- Evaluate existing applications to reprogram, update and add new features
- Develop technical documents and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Web Design, Application Development, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of web development, with both front-end and back-end experience preferred
- UI/UX experience would be a huge bonus
- Able to write and customize code in PHP
- Experience with MSSQL
- Experience working with and setting up a CMS (Craft CMS, WordPress, etc)
- Write clean, well-documented code that is easy to maintain
- Write technical/instructional copy as needed
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Willing to learn new processes and programs
- Outstanding communication, organization, project/time management and interpersonal skills.
This is a full time position with a very attractive benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance; retirement; vacation, etc. Please reply with a resume and samples/working links. Freelancers need not apply. No recruiters or phone calls please.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for qualified interns to join our team. Click the link above to view opportunities.
Harmony Hall is always looking for volunteers to assist us with various projects based on need and capacity. Click the link above to share your interest.