About our vision and mission
Our mission: to bring people together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
What happens when people sing together?
As a nonprofit organization, the Barbershop Harmony Society understands and embraces the transformative power of harmony.
We know that group harmonizing can help:
- improve physical and emotional health
- build healthier communities
- young people become healthier adults
- forge inter-generational bonds
- reduce barriers across diverse cultures and groups
- build healthy self-identities
If people singing together is good, more people singing together would be even better!
In times of conflict and exclusion, barbershop inspires us to blend, to cooperate, to create beauty and to love each other. Imagine its impact as a balm for wounded warriors, an intervention for at-risk youth, as a way to ease end-of-life transition, or even as a better way to rehabilitate people in our prison system.
Our vision of Everyone in Harmony means EVERYONE – people of every age, of every background, every gender identity, every race, every sexual orientation, every political opinion or spiritual belief.
Every person who loves to harmonize has a place in our family.
About our strategic vision
Everyone in Harmony: a bold vision for a bright future
The gift of harmony is too wonderful for us to keep to ourselves. It is a gift that we are not only compelled to share, but one that we now have the capability, resources and unity of purpose to share with everyone.
We need to share it with young and old, with people of every color and every strata, with city people and country people and everyone in between, because the world needs what we have.
Harmony compels us to blend, to cooperate, to create beauty. Indeed, to love each other. It’s time to think of the gift of harmony not just as a treasure for our own enjoyment, but as a tool for direct social impact.
Read our blog to stay up to date on all Everyone in Harmony news!
The Four Workstreams
Four workstreams comprise the roadmap, corresponding to the major strategies in the Strategic Vision. Milestones along the path mark dates by which specific achievements will be accomplished. Most of the milestones are in the next five years as we strive to sustain momentum and make meaningful impact on our membership, chapters, and communities.
The four workstreams include:
Participation and Engagement
Preserving and encouraging barbershop singing by helping people participate and engage in barbershop, rather than simply becoming “members.”
Expanding the impact of barbershop singing and BHS to the broader community and world.
Putting our assets to work on behalf of the whole world of barbershop, and eventually other choral groups as well.
Being radically inclusive and welcoming towards all, so that we reflect the communities in which we live.
Learn More about Us
• To perpetuate the old American institution: the barbershop quartet and barbershop harmony
• To promote appreciation of barbershop harmony
• To initiate and maintain a broad program of musical education, contests, and appreciation in support of barbershop harmony and the allied arts
• To establish and maintain foundations that support our vision
• To initiate, promote and participate in charitable projects that support our vision
Our Code of Ethics
The Society aspires to preserve for its members and for all future generations of prospective members, the sacred right of all people to seek haven from the burden of their daily cares through indulgence in old-fashioned vocal quartet harmony, and to that end we do hereby solemnly pledge ourselves to abide by the precepts of the Code of Ethics.
- We shall endeavor to perpetuate the Barbershop Harmony Society and the barbershop style of singing.
- We shall deport ourselves and conduct the Barbershop Harmony Society’s functions in such manner as to reflect credit upon the Barbershop Harmony Society and its membership.
- We shall conform to the bylaws of the Barbershop Harmony Society and any other rules set forth by its Board of Directors.
- We shall accept for membership only congenial persons of good character who love barbershop harmony or have a desire to harmonize.
- We shall exhibit a spirit of good fellowship toward all members and strive to resolve any conflicts with civility and respect.
- We shall refrain from forcing our songs upon unsympathetic ears.
- We shall refrain from taking improper advantage of our membership and BHS fellowship for personal gain.
- We shall not permit political, religious, or other controversial issues to hinder or inhibit the enjoyment of barbershop harmony.
- We shall, through our service to the Barbershop Harmony Society, endeavor to spread the spirit of barbershop harmony throughout the world.
Want to help us implement our vision? Email email@example.com to inquire about how you can get involved.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.