About the Society
Founded in 1938 as the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (SPEBSQSA), the Barbershop Harmony Society preserves and extends the reach of a uniquely American close harmony musical art form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmony traditions.
Through active programs in music education, publishing, performance, and outreach, the Society now expends nearly $1 million annually in support of community and school programs that bring the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music to a new generation of singers. The Society relocated its headquarters to the heart of Nashville in 2007 and has established powerful relationships in the civic and education communities.
Voted Nashville Business Journal's "Best Places to Work" two years in a row, our dedicated team of professionals is committed to spreading joy through singing in everything we do. Join us as we work towards our vision of everyone in harmony!
There are no current job openings at this time.
The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Volunteer with us
Harmony Hall is always looking for volunteers to assist us with various projects based on need and capacity. Click on the button below to share your interest.
New director ads are free to Society chapters. Please submit your ad requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Directors Wanted
- Ontario District's Ganaraska Chordsmen seek new director for weekly rehearsals, numerous community performances, annual show and the probability of entering a competition. We are new, 30 men strong, mostly seniors wishing to improve our performance level. Send inquiries/responses to Herb Franklin: email@example.com
- The Upstate South Carolina Chapter is seeking an enthusiastic Choral Director for its Palmetto Statesmen Chorus in the rapidly growing Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC region. This 53-year old Chapter meets weekly throughout the year and the Chorus/Quartets compete, produce shows and perform at several community events. Applicants are expected to have prior a cappella directing experience, good communication skills and a strong desire to serve our communities. The position is compensated. Contact Larry at LGilhousen@charter.net or (813) 362-5922.
- The Cavemen Chorus of Bowling Green, KY, seeks an energetic director interested in growing our established brand, cultivating a fun learning atmosphere, and expanding outreach to the local youth education and choral community. This is an excellent low pressure opportunity to gain directing and leadership experience. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Sun Parlour Chorus in Windsor, Ontario is a 35-man chorus that stages an annual show, competes in two Pioneer District conventions and performs at numerous community venues. We are looking for a director who will support our commitment to excellence in singing and performance. Rick Wilson: email@example.com, www.sunparlourchorus.com.
- The Houston Tidelanders are seeking an Associate Director. This is a contract position. Ideal candidates will have 5+ years experience directing preferably a cappella ensembles, the ability to achieve A-level performance, and the desire to continue to develop director skills. Contact President@houstontidelanders.org.
- The Arlingtones of Arlington Heights, IL, seeks a new director for once a week rehearsals, two annual shows, and many community performances. Our 25 member chorus leans toward performance, Broadway, Contemporary, traditional Barbershop, primarily for the fellowship, although competition in the future could be a possibility. $650/month, $125/gig, and other benefits. Terry Franzen: firstname.lastname@example.org. www.arlingtones.net.
Phone: We can always be reached Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at our main line, (800) 876-SING (7464).
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.