Our mission: to bring people together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing
Everyone in Harmony
Society Code of Ethics, Core Values, and Statements of Affirmation
A. Code of Ethics
The BHS Board of Directors (the “Board”) acknowledges that the actions and behaviors of all people in barbershop are a critical part of our culture. To that end, the Barbershop Harmony Society (“BHS” or the “Society”) Code of Ethics is guided by our Core Values and Statements of Affirmation.
B. Core Values
BHS members welcome all singers and potential singers into our community and create environments for them to thrive regardless of their circumstances or abilities.
BHS members regularly give our time, talent, and treasure to support the organization and ensure it thrives in perpetuity.
BHS members assume positive intent, treat others with integrity and respect, and embrace opportunities to learn and improve.
C. Statements of Affirmation
We change lives through close harmony singing
We embrace opportunities to grow as musicians and as people
We go out of our way to welcome others
We treat each other with dignity
We celebrate shared successes
We foster, encourage, and enable others’ growth
We encourage all to contribute in meaningful and impactful ways
We respect and acknowledge our differences
We create an environment where everyone can participate and be empowered to succeed
We elevate one another musically and personally
Taken together, the Core Values and Statements of Affirmation exemplify what is considered a “person of good character and reputation.”
Learn More about Us
Our Code of Ethics
The Society aspires to preserve for its members and for all future generations of prospective members, the sacred right of all people to seek haven from the burden of their daily cares through indulgence in old-fashioned vocal quartet harmony, and to that end we do hereby solemnly pledge ourselves to abide by the precepts of the Code of Ethics.
- We shall endeavor to perpetuate the Barbershop Harmony Society and the barbershop style of singing.
- We shall deport ourselves and conduct the Barbershop Harmony Society’s functions in such manner as to reflect credit upon the Barbershop Harmony Society and its membership.
- We shall conform to the bylaws of the Barbershop Harmony Society and any other rules set forth by its Board of Directors.
- We shall accept for membership only congenial persons of good character who love barbershop harmony or have a desire to harmonize.
- We shall exhibit a spirit of good fellowship toward all members and strive to resolve any conflicts with civility and respect.
- We shall refrain from forcing our songs upon unsympathetic ears.
- We shall refrain from taking improper advantage of our membership and BHS fellowship for personal gain.
- We shall not permit political, religious, or other controversial issues to hinder or inhibit the enjoyment of barbershop harmony.
- We shall, through our service to the Barbershop Harmony Society, endeavor to spread the spirit of barbershop harmony throughout the world.
- To perpetuate the old American institution: the barbershop quartet and barbershop harmony
- To promote appreciation of barbershop harmony
- To initiate and maintain a broad program of musical education, contests, and appreciation in support of barbershop harmony and the allied arts
- To establish and maintain foundations that support our vision
- To initiate, promote and participate in charitable projects that support our vision
Want to help us implement our vision? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about how you can get involved.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.