Honoring exceptional music educators
The NAfME/BHS Music Educator of the Year award recognizes excellence in teaching, performing, and the lifelong impact music teachers make on young singers.
In partnership and collaboration with the National Association for Music Education (NAfME), the Barbershop Harmony Society presents an annual award to honor educators who give students the opportunity to learn and participate in the joy and power that music brings in uplifting the human spirit and fostering the well-being of society.
Past recipients include:
- Dr. Misty Martinez of Cocoa High School, Cocoa, FL (2020)
- Lori Lyford of Chandler High School in Chandler, Arizona (2019)
- Debbie Cleveland of Gaither High School in Tampa, Florida (2018)
- Heather Nail of Valley Southwoods Freshman High School, West Des Moines, IA (2017)
Nominate a deserving music educator
- Recipient must be a music educator and member in good standing of NAfME
- Recipient must be a Member or an Associate in good standing of the Barbershop Harmony Society
- Recipient must demonstrate the highest values of professionalism, commitment, cooperation, and inspiration in instilling the virtues of lifelong singing, teamwork, and joy in the creation of vocal harmony.
September 1- November 1 annually
The nomination period begins on September 1 of each year. Those interested in submitting a nomination for the annual Barbershop Harmony Society/NAfME Music Educator Award should do so by November 1 of each year, with the award presented the following January. While anyone may nominate a music educator for the award, recipients must meet the eligibility requirements as outlined above.
Nominations should discuss in depth the ways the nominee is making a difference in people’s lives, inspiring a lifelong love of vocal harmony, and uplifting spirits. Anecdotes, videos, or testimonials from students or families affected are welcomed! Be thorough; be joyful!
The nominees will be considered carefully each year. Many qualified nominees are expected, so please do not hesitate to update and resubmit the nominations of outstanding educators not previously honored.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.