The Westminster Chorus from Los Angeles reclaimed the gold medals that eluded them last year, as they captured the 2019 international championship of the Barbershop Harmony Society on Friday, July 5 in Salt Lake City. They did it in decisive fashion, too, setting a new record for highest score ever awarded, with a 97.9% score, outpacing perennial champions The Ambassadors of Harmony from St. Charles, Missouri, who earned an impressive 96.5% score .
The 100-man chorus paired the tender ballad “I'll Be Here” from Broadway’s The Wild Party with “From Now On” from The Greatest Showman to capture its fourth championship .
More than 1400 men competed in 27 choruses representing the US, Canada, and Sweden. Medalists in order were:
- Westminster Chorus, Los Angeles, 2937 points, 97.9%
- Ambassadors of Harmony, St. Charles, Missouri, 2896 points, 96.5%
- zero8, Stockholm, Sweden, 2869, 95.6%
- Central Standard, Kansas City, 2790 points, 93.0%
- Northern Lights, Toronto, Canada, 2779 points, 92.6%