You can make a difference as a Society Board Member
Nominations are open for five positions on the Board of Directors of the Barbershop Harmony Society. We’re looking for leaders from all backgrounds to help shape the future of barbershop.
Finding candidates to lead the Barbershop Harmony would be simple if the sole criteria were love of barbershop and willingness to serve. We’re fortunate to have a wealth of talent, savvy, and devotion throughout the Society.
The larger challenge is making the process accessible and attractive to all members of the community. This especially applies to people who previously might never have considered themselves qualified for the role, whether from demographics (age, gender, heritage.), previous barbershop experience, or simple lack of connections throughout the barbershop world. For our Board to reflect who we are and who we wish to become, we are intentionally reaching out to be more transparent and welcoming in building the Board that will build our future.
What does it mean to serve on the Board?
It’s not sitting in a marbled hall in long robes. Society Board members are active members of their own barbershop communities, and also active participants in discussion about the future of the Society. The focus of the Society Board of Directors is on governance, not on operational management. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future.
- Perspective from a member of the Society Board
- Jeremy Brann & Blair Brown, Fresh talents join the Board
Learn more — ask
Rather than fill out a massive application and then wait and wonder, the Nominating Committee offers informal conversations with anyone who wants to find out more about serving on the Society Board. Use the form below to schedule a brief chat with a member of the team, who will gladly help you navigate the application process, answer questions, and encourage your interest. This is not a formal interview, just a chance to explore the possibilities.
Timeline: nomination and application process
March 15: Nomination/application process opens.
March-May: Active recruiting candidates and conversations for interested applicants.
May 9, 11:59 pm CDT : Deadline for completed applications.
May-June: Interviews, active participation in conference calls, etc.
May 17: Nominating committee offers slate of candidates to district presidents
June 14: Final slate of candidates delivered to Society Board
August 5: Last day to submit nominations from the floor
August 15, 2021: Election of the board at its summer virtual meeting
Positions to be elected
Openings for Society President, Society Executive Vice-President and Society Treasurer for one-year terms, and two (2) Members-At-Large for three-year terms beginning in 2022.
Qualifications and duties
- A candidate for the Board of Directors must be a member in good standing of the Barbershop Harmony Society .
- Final candidates will be expected to attend virtual meetings with the Society Board on June 27, July 25, and on August 15, when the election will take place.
- The focus of the Society Board of Directors is on governance, not on operational management. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future.
- The Board holds regularly scheduled online/telephone conferences throughout the year (usually the third Sunday of every month). Newly elected Board members will be expected to attend each of these monthly conferences.
- Board members may be assigned as a district representative and expected to serve as representatives of the Society President and the Society Board for up to two (2) district House of Delegates meetings each year at Society expense. These are usually, but not always, held at district conventions.
- For further information, see the Society Board Member Orientation Manual.
Use the inquiry form to schedule a preliminary chat, or, if you’re ready to apply, click through to the full application.