A message from Harmony Hall
As spring convention season begins and more information about coronavirus (COVID-19) is shared, many of you have reached out with questions about both local and International events. The Barbershop Harmony Society is continuing to carefully follow the news and information about COVID-19 preparedness from reliable sources. BHS staff is currently working with district leaders and Society Contest and Judging Committee (SCJC) leadership to keep track of any district event rescheduling or cancellations and help out with logistics or communications, among other concerns.
Local and International Events
As you can imagine, many districts are reviewing their upcoming event plans based on the impact of COVID-19 in their area. Those district leaders are communicating with their local volunteer teams and members, and will be working with BHS and SCJC as needed. It is possible that the International Prelims deadline will be extended to accommodate rescheduled events. More information will be provided if this is the case!
As of now, we are proceeding with the BHS International Convention and Harmony University events as planned. We’ll be sending out regular communications over the coming weeks and will let you know if there is any change to this plan.
- Follow local guidelines and practice healthy habits (i.e., no sharing pitch pipes or water bottles).
- Pay attention to travel guidelines near your convention city or rehearsal site.
- Greet friends with a wave or elbow bump instead of a hug or handshake. Applause works, too!
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing or sneezing. (We recommend a verse of Coney Island Washboard Roundelay or Keep the Whole World Singing.)
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and put the used tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- If you are at high risk to respiratory issues or of compromised health, consider attending rehearsals virtually or consult with your doctor about any upcoming travel.
We will be communicating regularly
Please know that we are watching the situation carefully and will continue to proactively share updates about the barbershop community and BHS events. So much of our barbershop experience is the joy of being together, so we understand how difficult it can be to postpone or cancel events or rehearsals. We encourage you to find ways to stay connected as a barbershop family if plans must change.
We wish you and your local barbershop community good health!