You can make a difference as a Society Board Member
Finding candidates to lead the Barbershop Harmony Society would be simple if the sole criteria were love of barbershop and willingness to serve. We’re fortunate to have a wealth of talent, savvy, and devotion throughout the Society.
The larger challenge is making the process accessible and attractive to all members of the community. This especially applies to people who previously might never have considered themselves qualified for the role, whether from demographics (age, gender, heritage,) previous barbershop experience, or simple lack of connections throughout the barbershop world. For our Board to reflect who we are and who we wish to become, we are intentionally reaching out to be more transparent and welcoming in building the Board that will build our future.
What does it mean to serve on the Board?
It’s not sitting in a marbled hall in long robes. Society Board members are active members of their own barbershop communities, and also active participants in discussion about the future of the Society. The focus of the Society Board of Directors is on governance, not on operational management. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future.
2024 positions to be elected
Applications are now being reviewed for the positions of Society President, Society Executive Vice President and Society Treasurer for one-year terms, and two Directors At Large for three-year terms beginning in 2024. (Please note: an earlier version of this document inadvertently omitted two offices to be elected: President and Immediate Past President. The correct offices and terms are shown here.)
Timeline and process
Application process opens
Active recruiting and conversations with interested applicants
March 15, 11:59 pm CT
Deadline for completed applications
March 15-April 30
Nominating Committee reviews / Interviews selected applicants
Nominating committee submits pool of candidates to district presidents
Final slate of candidates delivered to Society Board
Last day to submit nominations from the floor
Election of the board at the Board meeting in Louisville
Qualifications and duties
- A candidate for the Board of Directors must be a member in good standing of the Barbershop Harmony Society .
- Final candidates will be expected to attend several meetings with the Society Board.
- The focus of the Society Board of Directors is on governance, not on operational management. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future.
- The Board holds regularly scheduled online/telephone conferences throughout the year (usually the third Sunday of every month). Newly elected Board members will be expected to attend each of these monthly conferences.
- Board members may be assigned as a district representative and expected to serve as representatives of the Society President and the Society Board for up to two (2) district House of Delegates meetings each year at Society expense. These are usually, but not always, held at district conventions.
- For further information, see the Society Board Member Orientation Manual.